Leading group fitness classes can be demanding and can often cause burnout. In order to help keep your energy and enthusiasm high while sharing your passion and expertise with others I love sharing tools, tips, hacks and strategies for successfully leading fitness classes.
These three strategies help me stay focused and fresh without having to spend hours preparing or memorizing:
1. Change something in your class every week.
I like to add a new song or a new exercise, maybe a new warm up or stretch something every week so there is always something new. Not only does it help me so I am not overwhelmed but its also great for retention. My students never want to miss class because they know there will be something new. No more boredom!
Use the GXunited Choreography Exchange for new ideas and to share your best with others.
2. The best teachers remain students.
Carve out time in your schedule to take classes. It doesn’t have to be in the format you teach. Step outside your comfort zone and try new things. In fact this might help you see how it feels for your students to step into your class for the first time.
3. Never stop learning.
There’s a reason why you need continuing education credits to keep your certification current. Take courses to keep you fresh and on top of new trends and new research. Change the way you learn too: take workshops, attend conferences, ready industry publications and take online courses. Use the GXunited Fitness Education Directory to discover new certifications, workshops, and conferences. And make sure to check out our Fitness Education Calendar of Events to see upcoming courses in your area.
We would love to hear what you do to generate energy when you are feeling down. Share in the comments below!!
Check out these articles from Team GXunited for other suggestions on how to maintain motivation, avoid burnout, and keep your classes fresh.
- 18 Motivational Quotes to Inspire your GX Athletes
- Generate Energy for your Next Group Exercise Class!
- Maintain Motivation: 5 Cures for Summertime Gym Blues
- Not Just An Instructor, Become A Better Group Exercise Coach
- The Not So Motivated Monday
- Teach Only What you Love By Saying NO
- Stay Calm when Disaster Strikes
- It’s Only a Group Exercise Class! Stay Calm
- 3 Steps to Avoid Burnout as a Group Fitness Instructor - November 7, 2016
- Generate Energy for your Next Group Exercise Class! - October 6, 2016
- Record Yourself to Teach Better Group Fitness Classes - June 13, 2016
- I’m a Certified Group Exercise Instructor…Now What? - June 2, 2016
- 5 Strategies for Quick Class Planning for Fit Pros - April 4, 2016
- How To Get The Most From Your Next Fitness Conference - March 22, 2016
ACE: Group Fitness Instructor
AFAA : Certified Group Fitness Instructor